So after seeing that gardening magazines need a little bit of work I decided to go and purchase a couple of magazines to see first hand what the whole thing looked like. I couldn’t find Gardening News at my local supermarket but found an equally bad alternative in the form of Amateur Gardening Weekly. This had all the same flaws that Gardening News had and more by the looks of things. Here are some of the things i found.
The front cover has some issues with the miss match of colours of purple, yellow, pink and green. The seeds are covering up half the magazine and the information. To make this appeal to a higher class audience I will have to completely change the colour scheme and layout.
Some new front page layouts need to be thought of…
So i went online to try and find some magazines that i could see that looked a bit off. I visited some websites and stumbled across a website where you could view the front pages. I was flicking through and saw these few gems that could be redesigned.
I looked at the Whiskey magazine first as a possible magazine to change. The front covers are quite clean and well refined but the inside left something to be desired and i felt the was something to work with here, but you can’t really change the audience of a whiskey magazine as the consumers are a pretty small group. This ultimately lead me to look elsewhere and pick some other covers. The home farmer magazine had a pretty clear colour scheme of red white and yellow. The logo looked plain and rather boring and the text on the cover doesn’t do much to excite me . The text over the image is placed well and eligible but could do with some refining. could be marketed to a higher class audience, but there is the issue that farmers are not usually upper class or posh so might not be worth it.
I then saw these Garden News issues and immediately saw n opportunity. The front cover looked far too cluttered with too much going on. The text was clear enough but there was too much to read on the front. The colour scheme of blue and red downer really work all that well. Bright colours work well and allow the text to stand out. Could be made into a high class magazine as everybody enjoys gardening. Something to look into.
More research needed…
For my next project at uni, we have been given the task to find a magazine that we find has some layout issues and re design it for either a different audience or just a re design. You couldn’t choose any magazine which is too mainstream or popular because they are already good and don’t really need any tweaking. My initial ideas are to do a gardening or food based magazine because from what i remember they aren’t that appealing.
Time to do some research…
So after the designs and research i have produced this as my final piece. The background was toned down to not so many strokes. I have also added in the title of the film and actors name. This was created in a neon style typeface as to suit with the theme of the film.
All in all i am pretty happy with how it turned out. I think i achieved what i set out to and produced a representative piece of the film.
So after the grey scale version I am now looking to add some of the vivid colours that are present within the film. Here is my attempt.
The second image is an idea for a background that I have played with. Introducing the electric blue that is evident on other posters.The black gives a good contrast against the vivid colours and allows the image to stand out.
Now to bring together as a final cover
So after the pencil drawings i have now decided to try my hand at creating an image on the computer. I have chosen to create the image i drew with the sunglasses as i had already liked the way it turned out before. i decided to draw over the screen shot with the pen tool on illustrator to create this image. The different shades are created with a scale of grey.
The end result is a decent representation of the original image which can be worked in any way i wish. I think this will be easier to manipulate and create a cover that i can be proud of. I am join to introduce some colour into the image and see what happens.
So after choosing to create a drive cover and looking at the film research I have drawn some pictures from the film screenshots. I thought as most of the Little White Lies covers are hand drawn i should explore this avenue first. The are only few still images from the film that i could find with a portrait image of Ryan Gosling so i started to draw them.
The fist drawing came out pretty well and had a nice focal point in the sunglasses. They really drew attention to that point on the drawing. I like the composition with the steering wheel in the shot as well, as it ties in with the fact that he is a driver. The second picture i started but didn’t finish because i didn’t like that way it was headed. Initially i was thinking to draw just an outline image of his head with only the glove in full detail but i didn’t like it as i continued so i stopped.
The first drawing i will follow up and see if i can create a computer generated version.